Marc Marshall's Resume
Marc William Marshall
692 14th St. #C
Arcata, CA 95521
Home Phone: 707-822-4304
E-mail: mwm1 at humboldt edu
- Experience in fuel cell test bench development and LabVIEW programming.
- Experience in the design and programming of automated and embedded fuel cell power system controllers.
- 12 years of Japanese language and cultural experience; competent at a conversational level, basic reading skill.
- Experience in all aspects of workstation, network, and server selection, set-up, administration, maintenance, and repair, including a wide variety of operating systems and office environments.
June 1997 to Present
Research Engineer, Schatz Energy Research Center, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA.
Alternative energy research laboratory focusing on hydrogen fuel-cell development and other renewable energy technologies. SERC projects include the first fuel cell-powered automobile licensed to drive on the streets of the United States, hydrogen- and methanol-fueled portable power systems, solar-hydrogen power and vehicle refueling systems, and fuel-cell test stations.
Responsibilities: design and programming of LabVIEW-based embedded control systems and automated test bench software; selection, purchasing, and administration of laboratory computer systems, network, and server. Have also done CAD drawing and Internet research.
April 1994 to present
Independent computer consultant, Marshall Communications, Arcata, CA.
Responsibilities: Assist clients with hardware and software selection and installation; hardware and software troubleshooting and repair; web design and publishing.
September 1992 to June 1995
Computer consultant and mentor, Mistwood Center for Education, Bayside, CA.
Responsibilities: Established school computer laboratory; instructed K-8 students in computer literacy and programming.
Skills of Note
- Experience in the design and programming of LabVIEW-based data acquisition, automated control, and embedded control systems, based on PC, PXI/SCXI, and Compact FieldPoint hardware.
- Programming: Extensive experience and training in G (LabVIEW), basic experience with LabVIEW Realtime, training in C++ programming.
- Studied Japanese formally for two years, additional 10 years of informal exposure; I am able to understand and speak conversational Japanese, and read at a rudimentary level.
- Experience in Japanese-to-English and English-to-Japanese translation and subtitling. Working with my wife, Akemi, we are capable of professional, native-language quality translation between Japanese and English.
- Extensive computer experience and training, including troubleshooting, use, and maintenance of all versions of MacOS X (Public Beta trough 10.4), MacOSX Server 10.3 and 10.4, Classic Macintosh System 6-9, Windows 2003 Server, XP Pro, 2000 Pro, and NT 4.0 Server. Basic maintenance and user experience with Windows 95, 98, ME, and MS-DOS. Also familiar on a user level with non-Apple UNIX variants, VMS, BeOS, and Windows 3.1.
- Experience with hardware upgrades, maintenance, and basic repair of Macintosh and Windows-compatible hardware.
- Experience in web design and writing standards-compliant markup: HTML4.01, XHTML1.0, XHTML1.1, CSS1, CSS2.
- Experience tutoring various subjects; tutored undergraduate students in C++ programming at Humboldt State University, and have tutored high school students independently in introductory Japanese, precalculus, and introductory physics.
2000 to 2003 Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA.
Working toward MS in Environmental Systems, International Development Technology emphasis.
1995 to 2000 Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA.
BA in Physics with Computer Information Systems minor. (Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholar, Cornelius Siemens Scholar, Smullin Scholar, Presidential Scholar)
1993-95 Pacific Dunes High School, Arcata, CA
Graduate, Valedictorian. (Commended National Merit Scholar, 800 Verbal, 690 Math SAT scores.)
- Dr. Dan Ihara, Environmental Systems Program, Humboldt State University
- (Additional references available on request)